Here is the list of the 50 Fascinating Android Facts That You Must Read:
Amazing Android Facts:
- Originally the Android OS wasn’t designed for the smartphone market; it was actually developed as a digital camera platform.
- All Android versions, with the exception of Android 1.0 & 1.1, are named after confectionary and desserts i.e. Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, and KitKat.
- In November 2007, Google launched the Linux-based software system; Android OS.
- The first smartphone running Android was released in 2008, the HTC Dream or T-Mobile G1 depending on your country, it had a sliding keyboard.
- Android has over a billion activations on devices including tablets and of course smartphones.
- Android releases are alphabetical; Astro, Bender, Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollypop, and Marshmallow.
- Android is actually open-source which means that individuals have the option to modify the source code of the OS and manufacturers can add features.
- The word ‘Android’ means a human with a male robot appearance.
- In 2010 Sony Ericsson’s LiveView watch was released, the device linked to Android phones to show and control things like Twitter feeds, texts, and media players.
- Phandroid is a website dedicated to anything Android including news, reviews, and forums. They were the first dedicated Android website and their first post came the same day as Google officially announced Android in 2007.
- In California in 2003, Andy Rubin, Nick Sears, and Chris White founded Android Inc.
- Andy Rubin, Android’s Co-creator, was responsible for the name choice. Whilst at Apple, Andy was given the name for his love of robots. (Source: The Facts Site)
Latest Android Facts:
- NASA even uses Android. They sent 2 Nexus S handsets running Android Gingerbread into space to test their sensors in orbit aboard the International Space Station.
- Android is available in around 46 languages, this also means apps can be produced in different languages to cover a wider audience.
- Android’s app store “Google Play” has over 48 billion app installs.
- Android has branched out to other devices like Google Glass and Watches.
- At CES 2011 Android 3.0 Honeycomb was debuted on the Motorola XOOM. It was completely redesigned for tablets and never ran on smartphones. Honeycomb was a huge failure.
- Android’s significance in the mobile market was perfectly realized in 2009 when Eric Schmidt, Google CEO, was forced to resign from Apple’s board of directors due to a conflict of interest and his inability to be involved in Apple’s developments and future plans.
- Irina Blok designed the logo in 2007, the general idea came from the man on toilet doors.
- In 2015, Android’s OS was on 81.61% of all Smartphones sold.
- In 2015 there were around 98.5 million Android smartphone users in the US and in 2016 there are 107.7 million.
- There is an average of 42.38 million unique users a month who use the Android Facebook app.
- As all Android users know, most apps are usually free but the average price seems to be just $0.06.
- Android’s logo isn’t actually called Android, Google unofficially calls him Bugdroid. (Source: The Facts Site)
General Android Facts:
- Google did not create Android, they bought the company in 2005
- Android was originally created as an operating system for digital cameras
- It is based on the open-source operating system Linux
- It controls 88% of the world smartphone market
- The first Android prototype looked a lot like a Blackberry
- Microsoft makes an astounding $2 billion a year from Android in the form of patent royalties
- Over 1.4 billion people are now using Android
- Samsung had the opportunity to buy Android in late 2004 but passed the opportunity because they did not see any potential in it
- In 2007, when Android was unveiled, Nokia made a statement “we don’t see this as a threat”
- The word Android refers only to a male robot, whereas a female robot is called “Gynoid” (Source: KickAss Facts)
Few More General Android Facts:
- Google has statues outside its HQ for each version of the Android OS
- Apart from Android 1.0 and 1.1, all other Android versions have been named after sweet treats or desserts
- Android versions are named in Alphabetical order
- The very first Android phone from 2008 had no headphone jack and required an adapter
- In 2010, Anssi Vanjoki, CEO of Nokia, said that using Android is like a Finnish boy peeing his pants to stay warm
- Google Maps calculates traffic by tracking how fast Android devices are moving on the road
- Android Logging System has a method called wtf() which stands for “What a Terrible Failure”
- Android devices sell more than Microsoft Windows, iOS, and Mac OS X devices combined
- In each Android version, an Easter egg can be revealed by continuously clicking the version number in the “About” screen. 20. In late 2008, many critics thought Android would fail miserably. (Source: KickAss Facts)
- 25 Best GitHub Facts That You Should Know
- Mind-Blowing LinkedIn Facts in 2020
- Unbelievable Google Map Facts That You Must Know
- List Of Mozilla Firefox Facts In 2020
- RIP Google Plus Facts In 2020 You Must Know
Interesting Facts About The Android:
- Android Was Not A Google’s Idea
- Android Officially Launched In 2007 By Google.
- The First Android Smartphone Was HTC Dream or T-Mobile G1.
- Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) Is The Only Version To Never Run On Phone.
- Android Version Name Is Based On The Sweet Treats Or Desserts.
- Two Android Versions Are Not Named After Dessert.
- Android Green Robot Logo Was Inspired By Bathroom Sign.
- Microsoft Makes More Money From Android Than Windows Phone.
- Oracle Revealed Google Makes $22 Billion In Profit.
- Android Share Of The Chinese Mobile Market: 77%. (Source: Techieleaf)
Few Super Interesting Android Facts:
- After a huge success of the Android operating system, Samsung made a billion-dollar deal with Google to work together.
- The Google Play Store has probably crossed 50 billion apps installs and Android OS running over almost 1.5 billion devices.
- Every Android version comes with a fun activity. If you continue clicking for 6-8 times on the Android version option under About phone screen, you can reveal an easter egg.
- Do you know that Android running device is also available in space? NASA equipped floating space robot with two Nexus S device running on Android Gingerbread into space to test their sensor in the tough and rigorous condition of space aboard the international space station.
- Google Maps in Android is the biggest achievement of Google, they succeeded to find traffic based on existing android device moving speed.
- Google Maps in Android is th92% of Android apps on Google Play use “intents” system, which allows developers to designate other apps to perform certain actions. Users can set an app as default for tasks like web browsing including UC Browser, Opera, or Chrome.
- Microsoft partnered with 74 smartphone manufacturers to preload its popular productivity apps and services on tablets and phones.
- Android apps have more distribution opportunities than on another platform. The Play Store, there are dozens of other app stores such as GetJar, LG’s Smart World, and the Samsung Apps store. (Source: Techieleaf)
Surprising Andoird Facts:
- ANDROID, INC. INITIALLY INTENDED TO BUILD SOFTWARE FOR CAMERAS.
- THE FAMOUS ANDROID STATUES HAVE HAD SEVERAL RUN-INS WITH THE LAW.
- ANDROID VERSIONS ARE NAMED AFTER SWEETS, GOOGLE STRUCK A DEAL WITH NESTLE TO USE THE NAME “KIT KAT.”UT HAVEN’T has ALWAYS BEEN.
- GOOGLE CREATED THE OPEN HANDSET ALLIANCE TO SET ANDROID STANDARDS.
- JAVA IS THE LANGUAGE USED BY ANDROID DEVELOPERS.
- INITIALLY, ANDROID’S SUCCESS WAS FAR FROM CERTAIN.
- THE ORIGINAL ANDROID ROBOT WAS INSPIRED BY RESTROOM SIGNS. (Source: Generalassemb)