Here is the list of 30+ Telegram Facts To Learn in This Digital Era:
General Telegram Facts:
- 200 million Telegram monthly users, as of March 2018
- Telegram is targeting 1 billion users by 2022
- 365 million lifetime downloads of Telegram, as of August 2019
- An estimated 50 million Telegram users in Iran, where penetration stands at an estimated 56%
- Short WhatsApp bans in Brazil in 2015 (48 hours) and 2016 (72 hours) sent 5.7 million and 7 million new users to Telegram respectively
- July 2019 saw a 323% year-on-year increase in the first-time Telegram installs in Hong Kong, during pro-democracy protests; the first week of August saw 41,000 new users (100% up on the first week of June 2019)
- 15 billion Telegram messages were being sent daily in February 2016 – the last time Telegram made this stat public
- Most subscribed Telegram is HINDI HD MOVIES, with 3.2 million subscribers (September 2019)
- The official Telegram News channel has the highest average post reach, with 1.6 million (September 2019)
- Telegram ICO for Gram cryptocurrency raised $1.7 billion in 2018
- Gram was priced at $1.33 in the second ICO round in March 2018
- A year following the ICO, Gram may have appreciated by as much as 200% (offered at $4 in July 2019) (Source: Business of Apps)
- 80 Surprising Facebook Facts Update In 2020
- 200+ Mind Blowing YouTube Facts In 2020
- Mind-Blowing LinkedIn Facts in 2020
- 150+ Quality Instagram Facts That You Need To Know
- 80+ Super Pinterest Facts That’ll Leave You Pinning For More
Few Interesting Telegram Facts:
- In March 2014, Telegram reported that 8 billion messages had been received over the previous 30-day period. As of September 2015, 12 billion Telegram messages were reportedly being sent daily. By February 2016, Telegram reported that this had increased to 15 billion. (Source: Business of Apps)
- “Every day 1.5 million new users sign up for Telegram,” the company claimed in a blog post. It also claimed that Telegram is the number one most downloaded social media app in over 20 countries. (Source: Live Mint)
- Much like their competitor Whatsapp and social media like Facebook or Twitter, Telegram feels like its been around forever. However, Telegram is pretty youthful compared to these others.
- If you think he got this name out of making Telegram, think harder. What is Mark known for? Making Facebook.
- On June 6 this year, Pavel announced that he was going on a no food fast for the remainder of the month. His reasoning? He had hoped to come up with new ideas for Telegram.
- In 2018, with the help of his brother, managed to raise $1.7 billion in to create the Telegram Open Network (TON).
- “Unlike Telegram, WhatsApp is not open source, so there’s no way for security researchers to easily check whether there are backdoors in its code.” (Source: Good Feed)
Few Telegram Company Facts:
- According to Sensor Tower, Telegram has registered 365 million lifetime downloads globally.
- Telegram proved popular from the off. It reached 100,000 users by late October 2013, having launched in August of that year on iOS and October on Android.
- By March 2014, the app hit 35 million MAU, 15 million of whom were DAU, climbing to 50 million by the end of that year. This would double by February 2016 – with eye-catching growth occurring between September 2015 and then.
- We were up to 180 million Telegram users by the end of 2017, with the next 20 million taking us to 200 million as of March 2018.
- In March 2019, it was reported that Telegram added 3 million new users over 24 hours during a spate of Facebook outages, which included WhatsApp.
- Sensor Tower estimates around 3 million iOS downloads in August 2019 and 9 million on Android in the same month.
- As on YouTube, the top Telegram channel by the sheer number of subscribers caters to the Indian and Indian diaspora markets. At the time of writing, the HINDI HD MOVIES Telegram channel counted 3.2 million subscribers. It’s quite possible that at least a portion of this audience resides in Iran also.
- New Hollywood Movies HD Hindi English (2.1 million) and Bollywood New HD Hindi Netflix Movies (1.6 million) serve the same market.
- Telegram’s official news channel (@Telegram) is the second-most popular, not far behind HINDI HD MOVIES, on 3.1 million. Proxy server MTProto features highly, on 2.1 million – useful for those looking to gain access to content blocked in their own country (as Telegram itself is in China – including Hong Kong – and Iran).
- The rest of the top-10 is mostly made up of Persian language channels with content geared around education (Did You Know?), entertainment (NiazCom, Gizmiz Canal 1), and shopping (Fashion Clothing). The final top-10 entry is Russian-language entertainment channel Edward Bil-Trash video. Russian, we might note, is also spoken by a significant proportion of Uzbeks. (Source: Business of Apps)
Telegram Marketing Facts:
- As of 2016, it was estimated that there were 20 million Telegram users in Iran. The BBC reported that this may have been as high at 50 million as of April 2018. At this point, the app was banned in the country – though it can still be accessed through VPNs. A number of domestic client apps are available, though Telegram has warned that these are unsafe.
- Wired reported that for many Iranians, Telegram is the entire internet – is the only place where unfiltered access was possible. Iranian internet users, it might be noted, are accustomed to VPNs. In 2017 Telegram CEO Pavel Durov announced that he was handing out bitcoin grants to individuals and organizations that ran VPNs.
- A year on, state-controlled media reported that people were returning to Telegram, in a move that seems to suggest a degree of begrudging acceptance. Telegram penetration in Iran is estimated at around 56%. This is down from 60% pre-ban, but well up from 47% in its immediate wake.
- WhatsApp had said it has 2 billion users worldwide
- Telegram has collaborated with ministries and governments in 17 countries worldwide
- In Brazil,, periodic short bans of WhatsApp have seen users flock to Telegram in search of an alternative messaging service. A 48-hour ban in 2015 saw so many Brazilian users sign up in such a short space to time that Telegram had a backlog of security codes to send out. In all, 5.7 million new Telegram users signed up in a single day.
- A 72-hour ban the next year sent 7 million Brazilians to Telegram in a single day. This ban was due to the implementation of full end-to-end encryption making it impossible for WhatsApp to comply with a court order to make chats available to prosecutors.
- The app played a key role in the organization of the protests. At the end of August 2019, Telegram announced that it was making a move to allow users to cloak their phone numbers. This would make it harder for authorities to identify participants in group chats by searching for phone numbers, amidst fears of infiltration. Telegram groups can hold up to 200,000 users.
- Telegram’s move came after warnings from developers on a potential flaw in the app that would allow law enforcement/intelligence services to track down individuals involved in pro-democracy protests. (Source: Business of Apps)
Few Random Telegram Facts:
- On Tuesday, the team behind the messaging app announced that Telegram has more than 100 million monthly active users and that 350,000 new users sign up each day.
- The Telegraph Team made another announcement on Tuesday. That Telegram delivers 15 billion messages per day.
- WhatsApp goes down, 5 million people sign up for Telegram
- Brazil blocks WhatsApp, Telegram gains another 5 million users
- The telegram was born from the need to keep the secret agencies out
- Telegram’s founders lost their company to the Russian Government
- Pavel Durov is a modern-day nomad
- You can use Telegram on anything
- Telegram will never show ads (Source: Find My Soft)